Participate, practice, and perform. GIA lab classes provide an ideal blend of classroom instruction and hands on learning that are aimed to develop or fine-tune grading skills and techniques. You can take a lab class on its own, or as part of your GIA diploma programme requirements when earning your credential through Distance Education.
As part of it outreach initiative, GIA offers lab classes for members of the gem and jewellery industry.
- Grade diamonds, according to GIA global grading standards for Clarity, Colour, Cut and Carat Weight
- Learn to grade diamonds with the aid of 10x loupe as per market practice
- Learn about diamond treatments for colour and clarity such as HPHT, coating, irradiation, fracture-filling, and laser drilling
- Learn and identify the common diamond look-a-likes (simulants) such as laboratory-grown moissanite, cubic zirconia, zircon, laboratory-grown rutile, ST, GGG and YAG
- Learn about laboratory-grown diamonds (man-made / lab-grown diamonds)
- Grade coloured stones as per GIA’s grading standards for clarity, colour, cut quality
- Learn to describe a gemstone's colour in terms of hue, tone, and saturation
- Learn to judge gem quality factors
- Learn about the relationship between light and colour
- Develop your colour memory
- Understand accurate gem testing procedures and techniques
- Study the latest gem treatments available in the market today
- Practise identification of gemstones with the aid of a 10x loupe, Microscope, Refractometer, Polariscope, Dichroscope, and Spectroscope
- Learn to identify natural gemstones, imitations, and laboratory-grown
- Learn to determine and evaluate the quality of cultured pearls such as Akoya, Freshwater, South Sea, and Tahitian pearls
- Learn GIA’s 7 Pearl Value Factors™ :
- Surface quality
- Nacre quality
GIA’s education location in Dubai suspended its operations on Dec. 31, 2019. This location has offered the on-campus Graduate Diamonds program, distance education lab classes and professional development classes since 2008. Students who wish to continue their GIA education or need to complete required lab classes within a credentialed distance education program may enroll through another GIA global location.