Participate, practice, and perform. GIA lab classes provide an ideal blend of classroom instruction and hands on learning that are aimed to develop or fine-tune grading skills and techniques. You can take a lab class on its own, or as part of your GIA diploma programme requirements when earning your credential through Distance Education.
As part of it outreach initiative, GIA also offers lab classes for members of the gem and jewellery industry across Middle East & Turkey.
You can take a lab class on its own, or as part of your GIA Accelerated Graduate Diamonds Diploma.
- Grade diamonds, according to GIA global grading standards for Clarity, Colour, Cut and Carat Weight
- Learn to grade diamonds with the aid of 10x loupe as per market practice
- Learn about diamond treatments for colour and clarity such as HPHT, coating, irradiation, fracture-filling, and laser drilling
- Learn and identify the common diamond look-a-likes (simulants) such as synthetic moissanite, cubic zirconia, zircon, synthetic rutile, ST, GGG and YAG
- Learn about synthetic diamonds (man-made / lab-grown diamonds)
- Grade coloured stones as per GIA’s grading standards for clarity, colour, cut quality
- Learn to describe a gemstone's colour in terms of hue, tone, and saturation
- Learn to judge gem quality factors
- Learn about the relationship between light and colour
- Develop your colour memory
- Understand accurate gem testing procedures and techniques
- Study the latest gem treatments available in the market today
- Practise identification of gemstones with the aid of a 10x loupe, Microscope, Refractometer, Polariscope, Dichroscope, and Spectroscope
- Learn to identify natural gemstones, imitations, and synthetics
- Learn to determine and evaluate the quality of cultured pearls such as Akoya, Freshwater, South Sea, and Tahitian pearls
- Learn GIA’s 7 Pearl Value Factors™ :
- Surface quality
- Nacre quality