- Established in 1931, GIA is considered the world’s foremost authority in gemmology. Present in 13 countries, with 10 campuses, 4 research centres, and 9 laboratories analysing the world’s most important gems
- GIA is a nonprofit institute dedicated to continuous education and research in the field of gems and jewellery.
- GIA’s mission is to ensure public trust in gems and jewellery by upholding the highest standards of integrity, academics, science, and professionalism.
- GIA created global standards to accurately determine the quality of diamonds (4Cs – Colour, Clarity, Cut, and Carat Weight), coloured stones and pearls (7 Pearl Value Factors™ - Size, Shape, Colour, Nacre, Lustre, Surface, and Matching).
The commitment towards each and every student at GIA is unmatched. I now have the knowledge and capability to take on new opportunities in the jewellery industry.
GIA Diamonds Graduate, Jewellery Designer - Dubai
GRADUATE DIAMONDS DIPLOMA PROGRAM
GIA invented the science of grading diamonds with the 4Cs and the International Diamond Grading SystemTM – standards used by jewellery professional around the world. So there’s no better place to study the art and science of diamond grading.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Understand how diamonds are formed, mined, manufactured, and marketed
- Grade diamonds as per the GIA’s grading standards for Colour, Clarity, Cut and Carat Weight
- Learn estimation of weight of mounted diamonds with the aid of formulae
- Learn to grade diamonds with the aid of 10x Loupe as per market practice
- Identify diamond treatments for colour and clarity, such as HPHT, coating, irradiation, fracture-filling and laser drilling
- Identify the common diamond look-alikes (simulants) such as synthetic moissanite, cubic zirconia, zircon, synthetic rutile, ST, GGG & YAG
- Trained with over 140 actual diamonds
- Identify synthetic diamonds (man-made diamonds / lab-grown diamonds) using 10x Loupe and Microscope
- Gain additional knowledge of high-tech equipment used in renowned gem testing laboratories such as DiamondSure and DiamondView.
POSSIBLE CAREER PATHS
- Diamond Manufacturer
- Jewellery Manufacturer
- Loose Diamond Buyer and Seller
- Jewellery Retailer and Wholesaler
- Lab and Research Professional
- Any individual aspiring for a career in gems and jewellery industry
Here are some of the topics covered in the Graduate Diamonds Diploma Program.