National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) was set up by the Government of India in 2008 to ensure that India sustains its growth and helps the economically disadvantaged youth to raise their income levels by acquiring market oriented job skills.
NSDC is a first-of-its-kind Public Private Partnership (PPP) in India set up to facilitate the development and upgrading of the skills of the growing Indian workforce through skill training programs. A large part of the organization's efforts are directed and towards developing the skills in the unorganised sector in India. NSDC supports skill development efforts, in India by funding skill training and development programmes.
Gem and Jewellery has been identified by the NSDC as a high growth sector to initiate skill-training programs. With this in mind, the leading bodies from within the jewellery industry have established the Gem and Jewellery Skill Council of India (GJSCI) in July 2012.
The GJSCI represents all areas and functions of the industry, such as diamond processing, coloured gemstone processing, jewellery manufacturing, wholesale, retail and exports.
The founder organizations that have helped create the GJSCI are
- The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC)
- The All India Gems and Jewellery Trade Federation (GJF)
- The SEEPZ Gems & Jewellery Manufacturers Association (SGJMA) and
- The Jewellers Association Jaipur
Roles & Responsibilities of GJSCI
- Identification of skill development needs in the Gem and Jewellery sector in India
- Preparing a catalogue of types of skills needed in the Jewellery industry.
- Preparing a skill development plan for the Gem and Jewellery sector.
- Determining skills /competency standards and qualifications.
- Affiliation and accreditation process of the institutes imparting training in the Gem and Jewellery industry.
- Participation in examination and certification of individuals undergoing training.
- Planning and execution of Train the trainer programs.
- Establishing Academies of Excellence in the sector.
- Establishment of a well-structured sector specific Labour Market Information System (LMIS) to assist planning and delivery of training.
STAR SCHEME (A Govt. of India initiative)
This National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward Scheme aimstoencourage skill development for youth by providing monetary rewards for successful completion of approved training programs. Specifically, the Scheme aims to:
- Encourage standardization in the certification process and initiate a process of creating a registry of skills
- Increase productivity of the existing workforce and align the training and certification to the needs of the country.
- Provide Monetary Awards for Skill Certification to boost employability and productivity of youth by incentivizing them for skill trainings
- Reward candidates undergoing skill training by authorized institutions at an average monetary reward of Rs. 10,000 (Rupees Ten Thousand) per candidate.
- Benefit 10 lakh youth at an approximate total cost of Rs.1,000 Crores.
Affiliated Training Partner
To take this forward, GIA has become affiliated training partner of GJSCI in select areas of training and up-skilling of workforce in gems and jewellery industry.
To know more click here
For Details Contact :
Toll Free: 1800 102 1566
To apply online click here